Brownsea Swim Safety Cover
TIMES: 06:00hrs till 17:00hrs approx. LOCATION: Sandbanks and Poole Harbour
PLEASE READ THE TEXT BELOW AND THEN SCROLL DOWN TO SEE AVAILABLE SLOTS
A chance to help provide Safety Cover for the unique open water swim that is Brownsea Island Swim.
To provide the level of Safety Cover that this event is renowned for, we need a minimum of 10 Safety Boats, 3 Large Day Boats and at least 50 paddle craft.
An early start is required, but it is a fun day and extremely worth being part of the Safety Crew. Breakfast (Bacon Rolls) and Coffee will be provided for all Safety Crew at Sandbanks between 06:00hrs and 07:15hrs
To ensure that our insurance cover is maintained, we require that each person volunteering to assist us with the safety cover, meets our minimum requirements as shown below or holds a higher relevant qualification.
Privacy: Only your 1st name & 1st letter of your last name will be appear on this website!
PADDLE CRAFT SAFETY TEAM:
All Paddlers need to meet the minimum criteria and be “Competent” on a board / kayak / ski as described below:- a minimum of 50 paddlers are required.
- Capable of providing cover for the entire event i.e. to and from the Island and your point of Entry /Exit from the water, plus the approx 6.5Km around Brownsea Island.
- Comfortable with approaching a swimmer bow on, and allowing them to grab hold of the bow of your kayak / board for support should they require it?
- Able to identify the reason for support and if necessary raise the attention of the nearest Safety Boat according to the NOP /EAP, then maintain this support until the Safety Boat can come to assist.
- Maintain a visual with the swimmer's face (eye contact) at all times whilst they are holding onto the bow of your paddle craft.
- Be capable of self rescue back into / onto your paddle craft, so as to be able to continue with the safety cover.
(i.e. assisted by fellow paddlers to get back into / onto your boat should you make a wet exit).
- Be of 14 years of age or above.
YOU ALSO AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING
By Signing up in the volunteers signup slots below, you confirm that you will happily form part of the Safety Paddle Craft Team and as such carry out any tasks /instructions provided by the safety briefings and by the Paddle Craft Coordinator on the day of the swim. Personally escorting known swimmers is not allowed and if it occurs then the swimmer in question risks being disqualified – they are aware of this. We have to have this rule to ensure that all our safety paddlers are focussed on all the swimmers and not just one, thus causing a weak link in our overall Safety Cover.
SAFETY BOAT TEAM:
All Safety Boat Helms and Crew need to meet the minimum criteria as described below:- a minimum of 10 safety boats are required.
- Safety Boat Helm must hold a minimum of RYA Powerboat Level 2 or Equivalent Award or Higher
- Safety Boat Crew must be competent and have had previous experience as safety boat crew at an open water event.
- Both Helm and Crew must be capable of self rescue back into the Safety Boat should it be required, so as to be able to continue with the safety cover.
- Safety Boat Helm be of 17 years of age or older.
- Safety Boat Crew be of 14 years of age or older.
First Aid Team Members need to meet the minimum criteria as described below:
Note: minimum of 2 First Aid Leaders and 1 First Aid Support Crew.
- First Aid Team Leaders must hold a current First Aid at Work, Equivalent Award, or Higher Qualification.
- First Aid Support Crew must have held a First Aid at Work, Equivalent Award, or Higher Qualification and have had experience at similar events.
- All Members of the First Aid Team must be 17 years of age or older.
- First Aid Team Leaders to provide their own First Aid Kits, which must be fit for purpose. (RLSS Poole Lifeguard will reimburse for any items used)
- Blankets and Cold Cas Packs will be supplied by RLSS PLG and will be in the First Aid Tent on Brownsea Island.
Documents to read:
- Brownsea Swim 2017 - Risk Assessment
yet to be published
- Brownsea Swim 2017 - Island Layout and Swim Direction
yet to be published
Either click on the links above or copy and paste them into your browser
- Thank you for agreeing to help with the Safety Cover for this event, it really is appreciated.
- We will be in touch before the event with further details
- By signing up you agree that you meet the criteria shown above!
- Click on any available spot below fill in the details and please remember to list your relevant Qualification / Competency / Experience.
Sign up below...
23rd July 2017
|Task/Item||Start Time||End Time||Available Spots||Item Details|
|PLG Paddlers||06:00||15:00||#1: daniel h.||competant|
|#2: Sophie L.||Competent & Experienced|
|#3: Lara M.||Competent|
|#4: john l.||competent|
|#5: Dave C.||Experienced|
|10 remaining: Sign up »|
|Non PLG Paddlers||06:00||14:00||#1: George E.||Frome Canoe Club - experieced kayak support|
|#2: Jonathan B..||BCSLSC board competency|
|43 remaining: Sign up »|
|First Aid Team||06:00||15:00||4 remaining: Sign up »|
|Poole Legacy||06:00||17:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|Poole Lottie||06:00||17:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|Poole Apollo||06:00||17:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|Boscombe Zulu||06:00||15:00||3 remaining: Sign up »|
|Branksome Arancia||06:00||15:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|Bournemouth Arancia 1||06:00||15:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|Bournemouth Arancia 2||06:00||15:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|South Worcester SB1||06:00||15:00||#1: Adrian M.||SLSGB IRB Driver|
|#2: Abbi J.||Flood swiftwater rescue technician|
|Nutkin Too||06:00||15:00||#1: Andy S.||RYA L2, RNLI D, FPOS I, BCU Lifegaur, 25 years + experiance|
|#2: Mark T.||HM CG, BCU Lifeguard, FAW|
|Typhoon||07:30||15:00||#1: Andy B.||RYA level2, safety boat, VHF|
|#2: Amy B.||SLSGB flood Level 1-4|
|MVS Trevora||07:30||12:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|MVS St Elin||07:30||12:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|MVS Avocet||07:30||12:00||2 remaining: Sign up »|
|Nightingale||07:30||12:00||#1: Stuart B.||RYA Yachtmaster RYA Instructor|
|#2: Fiona B.||RYA First Aid Instructor|